Dr Mary Ling offers a Rapid Access Endoscopy service that allows eligible patients to have both consultation and endoscopy on the same day. This service minimizes delays in waiting for outpatient consultations to occur when the need to proceed to endoscopy is clear.
All referrals are reviewed by Dr Ling. Eligible patients are assessed over the telephone and booked directly to have their endoscopic procedure(s) at their preferred hospital (Brisbane Waters Private Hospital, Gosford Private Hospital or Tuggerah Lakes Private Hospital). Patients with complicated medical problems are triaged to a prioritised consultation ahead of their procedures.
Rapid Access Endoscopy is only available to patients with private health insurance. There is 'No Gap' billing for the procedure and anaesthetic. There may be out-of-pocket costs for the hospital excess.
You are eligible for Rapid Access Endoscopy if:
You HAVE one of the following indications for endoscopy:
- Cancer screening
- Iron deficiency ± anemia
- Positive Faecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT)
- Personal history of polyps or cancer
- Family history of gastrointestinal cancer
- Rectal bleeding
You DO NOT HAVE any of the following conditions:
- Age over 70 years old
- BMI over 40
- Serious heart disease – e.g. angina, pacemaker or defibrillator, artificial heart valve
- Serious lung disease – e.g. COPD, poorly controlled asthma, obstructive sleep apnea
- Impaired kidney function
- Advanced liver disease
- Active cancer
- Previous difficulties with anesthesia
- Impaired mobility affecting independence with bowel preparation – e.g. Parkinson's disease
- Blood thinning medications (not including aspirin)
If you have any of these conditions, you will require a separate consultation prior to your procedure.
Please obtain an information pack from the practice at least 72 hours prior to your procedure. It contains:
- Information about endoscopy
- Instructions on bowel preparation (click here to download instructions)
- Bowel preparation medication – Plenvu ($20)
- Hospital admission form
Please read the information carefully. It is important that you understand the procedure and the preparation adequately. If you have any questions after reading the information, please contact the practice.
The hospital will contact you 1 working day prior to your procedure to advise fasting and admission times.
On the day, you will have short consultation with Dr Ling before and after your procedure.
Dr Mary Ling performs gastroscopy and colonoscopy at Brisbane Waters Private Hospital, Gosford Private Endoscopy Centre and Tuggerah Lakes Private Hospital on the Central Coast.